Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Complete Guide to Downloading and Installing Windows 7 - For Free





I'm sure you have bought more than one computer in your lifetime, and many people have two, three, four computers in their house for a world of uses.  There's the school computer, the work computer, the gaming computer...the list goes on and on.  Windows 7 runs roughly $200-$250 depending where you buy your computer(s).  Multiply $200 by two, three, or four computers (however many you have) and just purchasing Windows 7 on 4 different computers can run you $800-$1,000 per household, which is what you can buy a top of the line PC for nowadays.  Have a small business office of 8-10 computers and don't want to shell out $2,000 for software?  This tutorial will show you how this download can be installed on as many computers as you want for FREE.


Please note: If you have been using the computer you wish to install Windows 7 on and are upgrading from a version prior to Windows 7, you will want to reformat your hard drive to clean the contents of the current operating system before proceeding.  View your computer's manufacturing website for tutorials and info on reformatting if you are unsure of the procedure.  IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE COMPUTER, REFORMAT AFTER THE STEP THAT TELLS  YOU TO REFORMAT, NOT BEFORE!


I will now show you how to download Windows 7 via BitTorrent, so if you don't know how to download Torrents, check out the Torrent section of my blog here.

I encourage you to read all of the steps before proceeding so you are familiar with each one.  None are that difficult; it's just better to be safe than sorry.


Step 1) With your BitTorrent client, download this Torrent.  This is the 32 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate with automatic activation.  You only need to download the file "Windows 7  Ultimate - 32 bit (Auto Activation).iso".  You can uncheck all other files before downloading the Torrent.  The file is over 3.5gb so it may take an hour or two depending on your connection.


Step 2) Download this free ISO burning application.  You will be burning the ISO you just downloaded to a blank CD using this application.  Once you burn your copy of Windows 7, you will be able to use the installation disk on as many computers as you wish.


Step 3) Install and open the Imageburn application and select "Write image file to disk".  Locate the Windows 7 ISO file you downloaded and select it.  Burn the file to a blank CD.


Step 4) Backup any important files you may want that are currently on your system now.


Step 5) Reformat your hard drive to its factory state when you first purchased your computer.  This step is optional, but it will help your operating system run smoother upon installation.  


Step 6) With the Windows 7 Disk in the CD-Rom drive of the computer you wish to install, restart your computer.  


Step 7) As your computer is booting, you will get a message that says "Press any key to boot from CD".  Press any key on your keyboard to make the CD boot.  If you get to your normal login screen or your desktop, reboot and try again.* 


*If there is no message about pressing a key to boot from a CD, you will see a message that says "Press (an F key) to enter setup (or BIOS)"  Press the key that it tells you and change your "boot order" to make the CD-ROM (or DVD-Rom) drive the first on the boot order and restart your computer.  The computer will now load the contents of the CD, which will be the Windows 7 installation menu.


Step 8) Once the CD loads, follow the walk-through instructions to install Windows 7 on your computer.  You will get an option to either 1. Upgrade an older version of Windows or 2. Do a fresh install.  The fresh install will remove all files currently on your system.  Make sure you have a backup of all important files before choosing that option.  If you choose the upgrade option, your hard drive will be partitioned to include your old files, which can be found in a "windows old" file on your C: drive.  Installation itself takes some time-roughly 30 minutes or so, depending on the speed of your computer-so be patient.


Step 9) During installation, DO NOT download updates, choose to download them later.  The update KB971033 checks for a "genuine" copy of Windows 7 and will watermark your desktop with a message about your copy of Windows not being genuine.  While your operating system will still be usable, you will lose any customization of your desktop.  If you accidentally install that update, reformat your hard drive and start over.  You may install all other updates except for KB971033 at this time, but to be safe, I simply disabled Windows from updating so I don't have to worry about a patch coming out and disabling my operating system (which is very unlikely at this stage since Windows 7 has been out for a few years now).  

Step 10) ENJOY WINDOWS 7 - FOR FREE!

If there are any questions send me an email directly (found in the contact link on the bottom right side of the page) or simply comment and I will respond to any questions you may have regarding the process.  Anyone can do this, you don't have to be a computer engineer to burn a file to a CD and install it on your computer.  It's a very easy way to save the hundreds of dollars it costs to normally buy Windows, especially if you own multiple computers.  


40 comments:

  1. I downloaded that torrent just over a month ago and tried to get it to work on my Macbook Pro, using Bootcamp. However BootCamp wouldn't recognize the CD as an install disk. Any suggestions for how to install XP on a Mac?

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much experience with Macs, so I can't be of too much help, but here is a guide for Bootcamp that may help your problem.

    http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_my_mac_using_boot_camp_1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't find KB971033 in de updates list

    ReplyDelete
  4. This could be a couple things. 1) It's not being recognized as an update which would be a good thing. Or 2) You accidentally downloaded it and your Windows 7 will be deactivated soon.

    Hopefully it's the former and not the latter. If you did download it on accident, just reformat and install again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i installed all updates but i skipped sp1... so far everything works fine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,I've just downloaded the win7 torrent and tried to burn it to a CD with Imageburn but got the error not enough space on disc. I'm no techno so it's probably something stupid I'm doing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good question and that brings up a point I didn't make in the post which is that a standard blank CD can only hold 700MB of data. The Windows 7 ISO is over 3GB so a blank DVD must be used since the standard blank DVD can hold 4.7GB. So try a blank DVD and that should solve your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent, very easy install and works fine. Do I need to do anything with my bios again after changing it to boot from cd?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe it will stay as boot from CD unless you change it back. However, if there's no CD in your drive then it will just boot normally so it's up to you if you want to change it or not. Glad it worked for you and thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Removed the cd and restarted the computer and there was win7 :-) seemingly I need more RAM now to speed up the computer so onto my next project.
    Many thanks
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Administrator, I'm in serious trouble hope you'll help me, please help me, I've followed all the instructions as you gave but it's still not installing Win7, whenever I'm booting the disk it's asking for drivers CD/DVD, where do I get it from?please help, all my friends have installed a copy of win7 OS on their PCs but none help me, hope you'll please, I've downloaded you iso file as you instructed burned it into a DVD with the help of the app that you listed above and whenever I'm booting the disk with the iso file of Win7 my f*#@ing PC is asking for drivers CD/DVD, I hate my PC, please help.......waiting for your fast reply.......I'll checking this site every hour for your answer............thanks in advance. my email address is sohailrocks143@gmail.com if you need my f*#@ing PC congif here it is:

    System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

    Computer:
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU
    E5200@2.50GHz
    2.43GHz, 1.99GB of RAM.

    Please help ASAP.

    Thanks.

    sohail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Administrator,I'm the same guy with the previous comments, when answering my above questions can you also add what is 64 bit and what is 32 bit and where can I find this information on my PC.

    thanks sohail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I burned the iso file to the dvd choosing the option of "Data DVD" and it doesn't get detected as a bootable dvd. Do I need to burn it again with 'burn image to disc' option or is there anyway to make the one i burned work??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sohail, I sent you an email directly with some followup questions so check your email if you are still having issues.

    Regarding the post above, yes you need to burn the DVD as an image so it boots. Burning as a Data DVD won't allow you to boot from the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello ! where can i find a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (Auto Activation) - Cracked version ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure there is an auto activated 64 bit version but check btjunkie.org. It would be there if it exists.

      Delete
  16. Hi Admin,
    I need your help please. I installed win7 with no problems on my dexktop but no I'm trying to install it on my laptop ans everything works fine until it reches the set up page that looks for a user name and computer name, my keyboard wont work eventhough the touchpad does. I'm in Ireland and have ste the keypad to "united kingdom" settings. What am I doing wrong??
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably have to download the Windows 7 drivers for your laptop. Go to the manufacturers website and save the drivers on a flash drive and install them after windows 7 installs. You may need to use an external keyboard and mouse to do this.

      Delete
  17. But when win7 is installing the laptop stops at the name your comp page and it's a clean install so I cannot go back to vista. Can I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right but you said you have it working on your PC so use that to get the windows 7 drivers.

      Delete
  18. There are pages of drivers, what exactly do I need? as I've said before I'n not an expert at all this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just download any that are related to the keyboard/mouse and touchpad. Can you plug in your keyboard and mouse from your PC into your laptop? It might be easier to download them right onto your laptop.

      Delete
  19. I can't plg the keyboard into the laptop, the touchpad still works fine on the laptop its just the keypad wont. I'v found this page with keyboard downloads http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads but dont know what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OK I understand now. I should have clarified, go to the manufacturers website that made your laptop and they will have drivers for your keyboard. For example if you have a Dell, Dell.com will have all the windows 7 drivers for their products.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My fault fo not reading properly ;-) I'm here now http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NR38E_S/updates but still might as well be looking into a field.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alright you are in the right place. Go to the section bout updating preinstalled drivers. I realized they only have Windows Vista as an option but vista drivers work with windows 7 as well. So I would start with the touchpad driver and download any of those drivers until the keyboard works.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If I do find the right driver then how do I get them onto the laptop?? In safe mode??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you don't have to install them in safe mode. You can just download them to your computer and open the file that downloaded and it should install automatically.

      Delete
    2. It looks good but can you get critical security updates?

      Delete
  24. have tried to start the laptop in safe mode bud it says cannot use safe mode as set up is preparing computer for first use, any other ideas??

    ReplyDelete
  25. problem solved, the ease of access button worked today for some reason, thanks for all your help and paitence.

    ReplyDelete
  26. problem not solved I'm afraid. My keyboard still womt work and when I check it in control panel it says drivers arre up to date and device is working! Would it be anything to do with the fact I've loaded the win 7 download already on my desktop??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be the problem. Any issues with a keyboard not working was usually fixed with a driver update so I'm not sure what the problem would be if they are all up to date. Try doing a Google search for the problem you are having or the type of error message you get and see if it is discussed in another forum. Wish I could help you more. Let me know if you find a solution.

      Delete
  27. Can I open "Windows 7 Ultimate - 32 Bit (Auto Activation).iso" with Daemon tools and then open virtual cd rom and copy all files to blank cd??? hope you understand my question...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that before but it could work. I know the DVD has to be bootable so if Daemon tools can create bootable discs then yes, it would be possible.

      Delete
  28. Thanks for being here. I just installed a copy of 64-bit Win7 on my machine after a hard drive crash. Previously when I installed it, M$ accepted the activation key. I just went to try activating it again, and now I get a message that the key has been blocked. I don't think I've d/l'd KB971033 because my system isn't watermarked, and I have done some customization to it, so I think I'll turn off auto updates. Anyway, to my question: I d/l'd a copy or your WAT remover and it doesn't find a WAT. Is this because I still have 29 days left before I must activate? Will I be able to use your utility once my time has run out to make the installation permanent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I'm not sure of the correct answer to your question. My advice would be to wait and see what happens after 30 days and reinstall if need be.

      Delete
  29. First off...thanks a ton for helping all these people, including myself. Obviously you enjoy teaching and coaching. As you know we all have different levels of experience, I just read thru all the extra hand holding and the patience you have for people. It's really cool that you want EVERYONE, not just the technie sorts, to enjoy the same things.

    Anyhow, i just needed to say that.

    As for me, my laptop has a CD/DVD drive and Windows 7, but my friend's laptop doesn't have either. She is running Windows XP on a smaller ASUS laptop. She does not have an internal disk drive.

    Assuming her laptop meets the minimum requirements for Windows 7, how would I best install this on her computer without a CD/DVD drive...or do we need to find one?

    Thanks....jp

    (Her mortgage is underwater, so she is forced to try and sell all her belongings to try to raise extra captial. I'm thinking Windows 7 would offer her some extra speed and support for this process)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lastly, and this may be a dumb question...but when she bought her laptop, it obviously came with Windows XP. She doesn't have an backup disks or anything to re-install things.

    If this didn't work and she needed to restore back to original settings of her original Windows XP ...is that done internally on the computer.

    I assume the answer is yes, but I have always had disks with my previous computers to re-install the operating system.

    Thanks again for everything....jp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the positive feedback.

      As for a solution to your problem, the only way would be to plug in a USB external CD/DVD drive to the laptop. As another option you could try the Windows 8 developer preview that I also have a post about. That would allow you to install the windows 8 preview via USB bootable flash drive.

      Delete